Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Jesus, Is That You?

I used to see (who I referred to as) Cap'n Jack on my early morning runs -- an older, heavy-set fellow wearing a fishing cap and kind of lumbering along. I didn't see him all the time -- just on mornings when I was a little down, or maybe working out a frustration or something in my head (I do that a lot on my solo home runs.) Some mornings we'd be on the same side of the street, some not. But, a smile and big ol' wave from Cap'n Jack always lifted my spirits. (Remember, this was usually at 4:30 in the morning!)

It's been over a year since I've seen Cap'n Jack, but now I have a new friend. A little old lady out walking, wearing her AM/FM headphones with the antenna all the way up (yes it's still 4:30 in the morning.) Even though we often pass just inches from each other, she smiles and waves with her whole body. I don't see her all the time -- just on mornings when I am a little down... A big smile and whole-body wave from my little old lady friend always lifts my spirits.

Jesus, that's you, isn't it?!

No comments: