Sunday, July 5, 2009

Chased By a Thunderstorm, and a Grackle

Start Time: 5:10 a.m.
Temperature: 79.5 degrees
Location: Garland, Texas
Wildlife Report: 3 cottontails
Police Report: 0 cars
Distance: 6 miles
Time: 1:01:35

Sunday morning runs always have the potential of being wonderful -- I leave so that as I make my turnaround, the sun is rising. Often, stunningly beautiful. At the end of my Sunday morning runs, there is also the potential for excitement -- since early spring, grackles have been dive-bombing me as I run by where I assume they are nesting. When you're in a mental "zone", and something loud swoops down and brushes your head, it can be harrowing. I embarrassingly let out a loud yelp, and then look around to see if anyone saw or heard me.

This morning I was chased by a thunderstorm. About 2 miles out, it started to sprinkle a bit. By 3 miles it was a pretty good rain. Normally, this would be wonderful, but as hot and steamy as it was this morning (a visual steambath rising from the pavement), this had the potential of developing into a serious thunderstorm. So, I made the turn and high-tailed it home. Safe and sound. Thank you, Lord.

I have been caught in serious thunderstorms twice, and don't like it a bit. So, I avoid that possibility as much as possible.

All-in-all, it was a good run. The wet roads kept me from "braking" which I have a tendency to do. I was totally soaked when I got home, but in a good way.

I ate a little bit this morning before my run, which I haven't been doing for awhile. I'm trying to turn myself into a real runner, perhaps to train and eat like a real athlete.

No comments: