Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Flagship Hotel - Galveston Island, Texas

Start Time: 6 a.m.
Temperature: 84 degrees (at least 100% humidity)
Location: Galveston Island, Texas Seawall Boulevard
Wildlife Report: Lots of seagulls, some pelicans
Police Report: None
Distance: 7 miles
Time: 1:16:30

Hurricane Ike knocked out all the lighting from the Galvestonian to Seawall Boulevard, so I didn't feel comfortable running on the roads through the dunes in the pitch dark. Usually I leave at about 5:30. Once the sun comes up the back (of my out and back run) gets brutal.

On the way to the Flagship Hotel, which is my turn around point, I thought I saw Kara Goucher running down Seawall towards me. It wasn't Kara, but she was a delight anyway, and she smiled and waved. Let me be honest -- that smile and wave makes all the miles I log worthwhile. It's why I get up and keep going out the door in the early mornings.

The Flagship Hotel is as it was post-Ike. No driveway to get from the road to the hotel. Parts of it missing. I don't see it coming back. Kind of sad. When my kids were little and starting to read, it was the "Flags-hip" hotel. It will always be the Flags-hip to us.

The wind was in my face on the way out, but at my back on the way back -- when made it almost neglible. About halfway back, my face felt blood red, and I was a little lightheaded. I had finished half of my 6 Fuel Belt bottles, so I stopped and ran/walked the rest of the way. Actually my time was only 3 minutes slower than last year.

During one walk break, I noticed a little tiny 2X2-inch book on the ground. I picked it up. It was a "Personal Bible: Verses of Comfort, Assurance, Salvation". If that wasn't the Lord providing me just what I needed at the just the right time, I don't know what is. I read it during my walk breaks.

I was pooped last night after a late-night putt-putt game, so I slept in and plan a cross-training day today -- the dreaded surrey.

I'm hoping to have pictures soon. Run on, friends.

No comments: